Grace is halfway through June (as we all are) but she is my guest blogger this month so she is also halfway through a month of new things! This blog has gone super sporty as expected…but not completely, I’m relieved to see!
- Having walked past it happening a number of times, I’ve been trying to pluck up to the courage to go to ‘super circuits’ at my gym. What better reason than day one of new things? I didn’t appreciate the ‘ten burpees between each station’ rule but it can’t have been too bad: I went back the following week when, thankfully, less burpees were involved.
- Tom and I went to a new pub – The Old Crown at Girton.
- Did a 20 minute yoga video to relax before bedtime. This was a nice stretch to end the day and I slept well (but that is by no means unusual…).
- Watched (some of) a cricket match on Parker’s Piece. It wasn’t a particularly exciting hour I watched, partly as tea fell in the middle of it.
- Went on my first solo cycle – 23 miles in 85mins. Again, something I’ve been trying to make myself do for a while. Will do that again and is a good option when I can’t make scheduled rides.
- Registered my football team with the league for next season, and sorted FA affiliation.
- Attended a particular Board meeting at work for the first time.
- Carried out my first visit as a school governor. In fact, two in one afternoon.
- Cooked samphire. Good taste.
- Having lived in Cambridge for nearly all of the last nine years, I decided it was pretty ridiculous I hadn’t watched the May Bumps. I cycle to the Plough at Fen Ditton a fair bit so that was our spot, and it was a good one. The races themselves are over pretty quickly for the static spectator though so football is still the one for me.
- Attended our street party for the Queen. Was a little bit nervous about this one – lots of new people – but had a great time and ended up staying out until 11pm. [Also included first, and possibly last, time watching a TV through someone’s window in the street.]
- Went to a new coffee shop in Hitchin. Hitchin isn’t a new place but rarely go there.
- Started reading a new book. Scottsboro: a novel.
- In a similar fashion to 10 above, had never been to the Fitzwilliam Museum in my nine Cambridge years. I have also worked about 300m from its entrance for the last 3.5 years. I’m not a big fan of art museums but it’s now firmly on my lunchtime location list: nice and calm.
- Hadn’t thought about today’s new thing until the cycle home when I decided I was still feeling reasonably energetic. I’ve had a kettlebell for about a year but never really used it properly so found a 20 minute kettle bell workout, set it to play as dinner cooked itself and that was that.
I love reading other people’s new things! I’ve only done two of these before, so more ideas for me. Can’t wait for the next instalment!